Congregation B'nai Israel
Millburn, NJ

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Congregation B’nai Israel, in Millburn, N.J., outgrew its distinctive 1950’s Percival Goodman-designed building.  As a result, Gertler & Wente Architects was asked to design a master plan for the synagogue and school to include: an expanded sanctuary space, social hall, catering kitchen, and main lobby; an enlarged nursery and religious school with double the number of classrooms (from 8 to 16 in total); a new multi-purpose space; the addition of a youth lounge; and a teachers’ administrative area and lounge.  As part of the master plan a new parking configuration and a secure drop-off area for children was incorporated.

Photography by: Joseph M Kitchen