new york, nY
Gertler & Wente Architects was asked to design a new entrance for this Romanesque 1889 building in lower Manhattan. Most parts of the building had been either largely ignored, concealed with aluminum panels or desecrated by thoughtless prior renovations. The project evolved into the restoration of an original Romanesque arch, (found after removing aluminum facade panels), a new mosaic tile floor, integration of two adjacent storefronts and replication of the original stone, wood details and moldings at the entryway of the building. A new lobby, vestibule and service corridor were developed as part of the renovation.
Photography by Julian Olivas